Hoe berg je je diamanten op
How would you describe a diamond? Beautiful. Sparkling. Indestructible. Well, two out of three are correct. Diamonds may be the hardest substance on earth, but they’re not indestructible. How can you keep them sparkling in one piece? Proper storage!
This article teaches you some important dos and don’ts!
- Store your jewelry in a fabric lined box. Don’t have that? Then wrap each piece in a separate tissue paper.
- When you purchase your diamond jewelry, take a look at the packaging around it. The purpose of it is to protect your piece of luxury and keep it looking like the first day you bought it. Some packaging is made from ultra-soft fabric for example, while other forms are used to keep the jewelry from discoloring or tarnishing.
- Separate your items. Use a jewelry box with small compartments, so that each piece has its own spot. That way, you’ll prevent your diamonds from getting tangled or scratching other jewelry.
- Keep your jewelry and the box dry, clean and fresh. Don’t spill any liquids or food on or in it.
- Store your dazzling beauties at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. Extreme temperatures and high humidity can damage, tarnish and discolor them.
- You probably love to mix and match rings on your hand, but please don’t throw them together on a pile in a box. Remember: diamonds can easily scratch other diamonds or other stones and precious metals.
- Beware of your worst nightmare! Don’t leave your ring on the rim of the sink while washing your hands. You wouldn’t be the first to see her precious beauties slip down the drain.
- Are you about to do some heavy lifting, gardening or cleaning? Don’t leave your diamond rings on, as you can easily damage them. Take them off or wear suitable gloves.
- Don’t use plastic bags or jars to store jewelry. Some types of plastic emit vapors that can pit and discolor metal.
Pro tip from Laurence: Done sorting out your jewelry storage? Great! This is the perfect moment to check if your insurance paperwork is up to date. Make sure you have pictures of your jewelry and that the independent valuations or certificates didn’t get lost anywhere. Don’t store this information together with your jewelry. Why? Just imagine the worst: your jewelry gets stolen or badly damaged. Bring your paperwork up to date and give yourself some peace of mind. You might want to consider installing a safe or an alarm system if you have several high-value possessions.
Look after your jewelry, and you’ll enjoy it for a lifetime!
Did you notice your diamonds look a bit dull? Read this article to discover how & why to clean them!